A learning management system (LMS) is a software application or Web-based technology
used to plan, implement, and assess a specific learning process. Typically, a learning
management system provides an instructor with a way to create and deliver content,
monitor student participation, and assess student performance. A learning management
system may also provide students with the ability to use interactive features such as
threaded discussions, video conferencing, and discussion forums.
Thus, LMS is simply a software system that delivers courseware plus e-tutoring over the
Following are the advantages that are provided by Learning Management System:
▪ Organizes eLearning content in one location.
▪ Facilitates management of access to eLearning materials.
▪ Easily tracks learner progress and performance.
▪ Reduces Learning and Development costs/time.
▪ Quickly and conveniently expands eLearning courses
▪ Integrates social learning experiences.
▪ Make Course Access Location-Independent.
▪ Customize Courses / Training Programs
▪ Build Efficient Educational Environments